THE RARE CELEBES DAGGER LITHOGRAPHY BOOK ILLUSTRATION 1885.
UCM-uniquecollection.wordpress.com CyberMuseum collections.
@copyright Dr Iwan S.2010
1.Intro (Dr Iwan S. note)
This show dedicated to the South Celebes(Sulawasi selatan) dagger Collectors, and especially for my best friend Pater Saelangi ,Dental Physian (drg) who have praticed and stayed along his duty and also stayed at Makassar after retired, he always help me to get the Makassar and Bugis Uniquecollection during my Visit Makassar for several time, but I never seen this very rare Dagger there, I have found more long Bugis dagger at Pontianank,one day I wiil show in my blog.
2. This rare vintage book was found at Jakarta ,in several other vintage 19th century arkeaologist book,I will posted many lithographic picture related to the Indonesia Native Uniquecollections dedicated for my best friend.
2. Dagger And Sheat From Celebes?
(Schmeltz JDE,conserver and ethnographhist, leiden,1895,ex libris J Jonge Jans)
The weapon of which we give here a figure, has been recieved by the Museum od Science and Art at Edinburg without indication of the exact locality.
We owe the following description of it to Mr Walter clark,curator of the Museum :
(1) Blade of ‘watered’ steel,wrought a jour along the back for two-thirds of its lenght,the remaining third has acutting edge.
(2) Both faces are slightly ‘hollowed and best flamboyant designs encrusted in gold, the gold itself being delicately engraved.
(3) Handle of mottled brown wood carved with foliage .
(4) Sheat of wood,covered with rattan,coated with ‘red and yellow lacquer, at the top is a mount and lower down a floral ‘button’ (to which a red silk cord is attached both in nielloed silver, the four pettaled flowers which partly make up the design being ‘picked out’ in gold. Amount is missing from the lower end.
(5) length of Dagger 0,45 m (near same with the Badik I have found in Pontianak, may be the same type, but my collection without the sheat -Dr iwan s)
We are inclined to believe thast the weapon in question comes from the Bougis of Celebes. Is any of our reader able to indicate the exact locality ?
(Please the south celebes Dagger(Badik) collectors who have the same collections give us more information via comment, after this i will installed the vintage lithography picrure of dayak mandau 1888, compare with my west Borneo Dayak Mandau collections-Dr iwan s.)
@Copyright Dr iwan s.2010.